Cover01 3

Realisation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is important to uplift the quality of life, address inequality and promote environmental sustainability yet all this depends on the ability of citizens to access and use information held by governmental and relevant private bodies.


On the occasion to mark the second edition of the International Day for Universal Access to Information, Africa Freedom of Information Centre (AFIC) is pleased launch the 2017 Report on the State of Right to Information in Africa. The report focuses on the status of SDG 16.10.2 in terms of adoption and implementation of access to information laws, ratification of African Union treaties that recognize citizens’ right of access to information, state reporting to treaty bodies, association the Open Government Partnership, a key multilateral platform through which the right to information can be advanced.


Altogether, 23 African countries were studied: These include: Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, The Gambia, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. In the rest of the countries where primary data was not collected secondary sources, were used to determine for example, whether such a country had an ATI law, status of state reporting to treaty bodies or ratification of treaties.

 
At national level the report is both a baseline and advocacy tool. As a baseline it will assist states in identifying main areas of achievement in in terms of policy adoption, implementation and reporting. Civil society organisations and citizens will find the report useful in identifying areas that need their advocacy attention.
Organisations like the African Union, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights as well as UNESCO which have specified mandates with following up with and supporting Member States  to realise their obligations will also find useful information for their purposes.


In the context of SDG 16.10.2, the study finds that only 21 (or 39%) out of the 54 countries have made the first step of achieving this important target. The rest, 61% are yet to adopt, later on implement ATI measures as required to meet tis SDG.  Gap, the study finds, exists with ratification and reporting by state parties.


We invite all stakeholders to study this report and implement recommendations.

Please follow these links for:

Summary Report: http://www.africafoicentre.org/index.php/resources/reports-publications/249-summary-report-state-of-sdg-on-rti-in-africa-2017-1/file

Full Report:  http://www.africafoicentre.org/index.php/resources/reports-publications/248-full-report-state-of-rti-in-africa-report-2017-sdg-report-1/file

Realisation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is important to uplift the quality of life, address inequality and promote environmental sustainability yet all this depends on the ability of citizens to access and use information held by governmental and relevant private bodies.

On the occasion to mark the second edition of the International Day for Universal Access to Information, Africa Freedom of Information Centre (AFIC) is pleased launch the 2017 Report on the State of Right to Information in Africa. The report focuses on the status of SDG 16.10.2 in terms of adoption and implementation of access to information laws, ratification of African Union treaties that recognize citizens’ right of access to information, state reporting to treaty bodies, association the Open Government Partnership, a key multilateral platform through which the right to information can be advanced.

Altogether, 23 African countries were studied: These include: Cameroon, DRC, Ethiopia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, The Gambia, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. In the rest of the countries where primary data was not collected secondary sources, were used to determine for example, whether such a country had an ATI law, status of state reporting to treaty bodies or ratification of treaties.  

At national level the report is both a baseline and advocacy tool. As a baseline it will assist states in identifying main areas of achievement in in terms of policy adoption, implementation and reporting. Civil society organisations and citizens will find the report useful in identifying areas that need their advocacy attention.

Organisations like the African Union, African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights as well as UNESCO which have specified mandates with following up with and supporting Member States  to realise their obligations will also find useful information for their purposes.

In the context of SDG 16.10.2, the study finds that only 21 (or 39%) out of the 54 countries have made the first step of achieving this important target. The rest, 61% are yet to adopt, later on implement ATI measures as required to meet tis SDG.  Gap, the study finds, exists with ratification and reporting by state parties.

We invite all stakeholders to study this report and implement recommendations.

Please follow these links for:

Summary Report: http://www.africafoicentre.org/index.php/resources/reports-publications/249-summary-report-state-of-sdg-on-rti-in-africa-2017-1/file

Full Report:  http://www.africafoicentre.org/index.php/resources/reports-publications/248-full-report-state-of-rti-in-africa-report-2017-sdg-report-1/file

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish
Quick Contacts

Plot436/431 Mawanda Road,  Suite A4, Corner House,
P.O Box 35643, Kampala, Uganda
Tel: +256 414 533554
Fax: +256 414 533554
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: www.africafoicentre.org

AFIC OGP Links
Facebook

Twitter

Useful Links